Past clients include: Owners, GCs, subcontractors and injured workers.
Issues include whether the companies involved have workers comp
- Jon will coordinate with the Workers Comp Insurance company to see that clients get the correct health care and as well as the benefits they are owed. ANd when the case is resolved, Jon will go back to the workers comp carrier to try to negotiate a lower pay back rate.
- Jon will also make sure that lost pay is calculated correctly.
Sometimes third parties (companies other than the employer) are at fault
- Important to find out if the worker who caused the problem worked for another employer because there may be separate liability and claims for multiple employers.
- Safety is more than a poster. A GC may not be managing safety correctly at his worksite. Also important to determine whether the owner was aware of a defect on his premises.
Scaffold collapse injuries
- Problems with the scaffold caused by contractors allowing workers to remove cross braces, not using proper equipment to attach the scaffold to the building, missing ladders, no toeboards, items improperly stored on the scaffold
- Falls from roofs and beams due to improper protections (such as missing harnesses)
- Falls from construction elevators that weren't properly attached
- Amputations caused by objects falling off of forklifts during transportation and loading
- Areas not roped off
- No safety boots
- Improper supervision during use
Hit by falling objects at construction sites
- Was area fenced off properly
- Do all workers and visitors have hard hats?
- Are adequate warnings posted?
Trench collapse injuries
- Due to improper bracing, soils testing